[CentOS] Server Shut Down!!!!

Wed Apr 9 01:59:40 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008, Harry Sukumar wrote:

>Good Day All,

>I have a serious problem on one of my servers running CentOS 5!!!

>The problem started this way,

>I wanted to store some data under /home and I got an error message saying
>it is in the read only mode

>So I rebooted the machine,

>Then I see this serious error messages at boot time (I am unable to boot)

>Here is the Error Message!!!

>*** Error occurred during the file system check.

>*** Dropping you to shell; the system will reboot

This sounds like you have a serious disk/controller problem.

I would try booting the system with a Knoppix liveCD (or other
livecd of your preference), which should allow you to look at the
hard disk to analyze the problem(s), run fsck if fdisk shows that
the partition table is intact.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is
the symbol of democracy.  It is our job to see that it stays there.
   --GEORGE ORWELL