[CentOS] merge an lvm snapshot back

Sun Apr 13 15:47:46 UTC 2008
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>  well, just use it.

This implies that "snapshot" is a bit of a misnomer for what LVM
creates, because you can modify both the "snapshot" and the "real
physical LV," but if you want to be able to revert easily, it's the
"real LV" that you have to *avoid* changing (so that you can simply
drop the snapshot when you're finished with it).

Have I got that wrong?

This limits the usefulness of snapshots as a backup/recovery mechanism.

> Also, your work flow is broken if your historic snapshots are now
> production while the real physical LV isnt.( imho )

Seems to me that's exactly the situation he's trying to avoid.  He
wants to restore the real LV to the state it was in at the time one of
the snapshots was taken.  Which in other contexts is exactly the
reason one makes a snapshot.