[CentOS] merge an lvm snapshot back

Sun Apr 13 16:09:41 UTC 2008

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>> Also, your work flow is broken if your historic snapshots are now
>> production while the real physical LV isnt.( imho )
>
> Seems to me that's exactly the situation he's trying to avoid.  He
> wants to restore the real LV to the state it was in at the time one of
> the snapshots was taken.  Which in other contexts is exactly the
> reason one makes a snapshot.

Thats not what the whole point is. The point of doing snapshots is to
expose TO your backup process a consistent  filesystem while reducing
the production downtime ( for people who use snapshots as a back
transport ). The Snapshot isnt meant to be the backup.

Anyway, if you are looking to discuss the in's and out's of lvm and how
it does what it does, there is a linux-lvm list, you might want to go
ask there.