[CentOS] Centos issues

Mon Apr 14 22:03:35 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:03 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 16:56 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> >><snip>

> > Geez folks! Let's have a little thicker skin. Nothing wrong, IMO, with
> > what was posted. OP was just sharing a strategic decision that might be
> > made. I found nothing offensive there.
>
> A "strategic decision" is the last thing that pops up in my mind when
> reading that mail.
>
> You don't switch distributions because you cannot solve something (or
> because people are not helping you to solve something). Especially not if
> it is something that a Google search could have helped you with.

I suspect a difference in ... age, background, personality causes our
different POV on this.

As soon as reading the OP, I deduced that little or no research was done
and no attempt to RTFM had occured. This could be wrong, but it's
irrelevant to me.

That is the OP's problem. I make it a rule to (*try*) not let other's
problems become mine. Especially of an emotional nature.

I realize that is easier said than done. Especially if one has invested
dedicated work and effort. It does take a fair amount of effort to just
to maintain this attitude. When I was youg and full of piss and vinegar,
I 1) didn't know the rule and 2) would have failed miserably regardless.

Now I am able to figure that the strategy of a lot of folks (based on
observation) is to lay as much effort onto others as possible,
minimizing their own effort. This no longer bothers me *as much* as it
used to. It's like getting pissed off because it is raining.

However, having said all that, my response was not intended to be a
criticism. It was only meant to encourage a less ... *reactive* response
to things such as this, which really only ends up wasting your own time.
If the OP is not inclined to do the research it is doubtful that
anything we post here would have much influence.

I *do* sometimes try to ... "educate" folks, but only selectively as I
*think* I see something indicating the poster may be amenable to such
"education".

> But apparently it works to mention switching distributions :)

Only if the OP *thinks* it is a successful "bullying* tactic. Then some
satisfaction might be derived. But if such a tactic fails to provoke any
response at all, chance of satisfaction is reduced, IMO.

But it's really just a style difference ('twixt you and me, e.g.). I
really don't have any animosity toward anyone who "defends" themselves
or their project.

> Maybe I should go back to Slackware ?

*chuckle*

That's a stategic decision!  ;-)