[CentOS] Re: Centos issues

Mon Apr 14 23:36:25 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 4-14-2008 3:03 PM William L. Maltby spake the following:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:03 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> Geez folks! Let's have a little thicker skin. Nothing wrong, IMO, with
>>> what was posted. OP was just sharing a strategic decision that might be
>>> made. I found nothing offensive there.
>> A "strategic decision" is the last thing that pops up in my mind when
>> reading that mail.
>>
>> You don't switch distributions because you cannot solve something (or
>> because people are not helping you to solve something). Especially not if
>> it is something that a Google search could have helped you with.
>
> I suspect a difference in ... age, background, personality causes our
> different POV on this.
>
> As soon as reading the OP, I deduced that little or no research was done
> and no attempt to RTFM had occured. This could be wrong, but it's
> irrelevant to me.
>
> That is the OP's problem. I make it a rule to (*try*) not let other's
> problems become mine. Especially of an emotional nature.
>
> I realize that is easier said than done. Especially if one has invested
> dedicated work and effort. It does take a fair amount of effort to just
> to maintain this attitude. When I was youg and full of piss and vinegar,
> I 1) didn't know the rule and 2) would have failed miserably regardless.
>
> Now I am able to figure that the strategy of a lot of folks (based on
> observation) is to lay as much effort onto others as possible,
> minimizing their own effort. This no longer bothers me *as much* as it
> used to. It's like getting pissed off because it is raining.
>
> However, having said all that, my response was not intended to be a
> criticism. It was only meant to encourage a less ... *reactive* response
> to things such as this, which really only ends up wasting your own time.
> If the OP is not inclined to do the research it is doubtful that
> anything we post here would have much influence.
>
> I *do* sometimes try to ... "educate" folks, but only selectively as I
> *think* I see something indicating the poster may be amenable to such
> "education".

I have just started to not answer posters that look like they habitually don't
do any initial work or research. Kind of a mental blacklist when I remember
the OP. Some of them just seem to stand out.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and