[CentOS] Installing Centos 5 on HP DL140 G3

Wed Apr 16 06:02:45 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 23:01 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:17:26 +0100:
>
> > now would be a good time to look at the installer docs at www.centos.org/docs/
>
> well, the problem is that the docs do not say anything about what kind of
> file that function wants to see.
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/ch07s04.html
> "If you need to use a driver image, such as during a PCMCIA device or NFS
> installation, the installation program prompts you to insert the driver (as a
> diskette, CD-ROM, or file name) when it is needed."
> And that was it. That's not with "linux dd", it's later when anaconda by itself
> specifically allows me to provide the driver when it needs it.
> It allows me to pick filenames from the media. Very well. But what kind of file
> does it expect? If it expects me to select a dd image file. Well, I have already
> done that and it fails. That's why I'm asking what kind of file that anaconda
> dialog expects. If it expects something other than a floppy image
> then it's obvious why it fails.
>
> Kai

Yea, it's pretty obvious why it really fails. I'm sure HP did not type up that readme file for no reason.
I'm also pretty sure there are a few people reading these threads that are confused right about
now. They probably don't know what to make of the situation. I am also getting confused because I
did not like the comment about you saying you were going to go to the HP
Forums to see how smart they were!!! I also bet they are not NICE as the
"centos-lists". If indeed this is a new HP Server (i'm to lazy to look
it up) they have phone support. My thoughts are that its been about 2
days and you have not even began to put a dent in it (you know doing it
the way hp said) because you did not even mention the driver install
failing from the boot prompt.

This is not a grip it is the Truth and Facts....
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079