{Disarmed} [CentOS] I meet a problem on installing CentOS4.4 ServerCD.

Thu Apr 17 15:33:17 UTC 2008
Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk>

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

>  Deja vu, I just installed an HP DL where I thought I had problems with the
>  external RAID controller, but it hadn't. In bypassing I also had to read some
>  information about those "HP Embedded SATA RAID controllers". AFAIK, these are
>  not hardware controllers, but "fakeRAID" and therefore everyone usually
>  recommends *not* using their RAID functions but using the Linux software RAID
>  directly with the SATA drives.

Indeed, the LSI logic controllers that ship with some HP workstations
do not provide adequate RAID protection and as such, is recommended
that you either install another RAID controller in the machine or use
software RAID.  The LSI Logic MegaRAID 8888ELP is pretty good,
although a bit pricey.  I thoroughly dislike HP's own RAID controller
offerings - had more problems with them than I care to mention here.

Regards,

Martyn
--
Martyn Drake