[CentOS] mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

Wed Apr 23 07:49:06 UTC 2008
Wojtek Pilorz <wpilorz at bdk.pl>

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:39:41PM -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> How do I go about troubeshooting this?  I'm using RHEL 4 update 6.
>
>    mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy
>
> It's actually an iSCSI LUN (NetApp filer).  I successfully configured (ext3) and mounted it, but when I rebooted, the /dev/sdb1 device/partition is seen by the kernel and it shows up with "fdisk -l".
>
> Nevertheless I get that error.  I've tried "umount" and am informed that /blah isn't mounted.  I've tried "lsof" and don't find a process that's attached to /blah.
>
> I also tried "fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdb1" which worked (so it detects the ext3 file system).
>
> Any other tools to check out?
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/mounts | grep sdb1

You could possibly have /dev/sdb1 already mounted at some different mount point.
If that doesn't help, look for aliases for sdb1 in /dev

>    === Al

Regards,

Wojtek