[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

Thu Apr 24 22:36:53 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:06 -0700, MHR wrote:
> I'm running FC8 with Gnome 2.20.0 at work and I have this interesting situation.
>
> I have two disks on the system that are both configured to be mounted
> in /etc/fstab, but I'm seeing two things I believe are strange.
>
> One is that the second drive is not getting mounted at boot time.
>
> The other is that I see two icons for the disk on my desktop - one
> with the mount point of the drive, the other with the labvel, and they
> both refer to the same drive (but, e.g., if I use one icon to umount
> the drive, the other icon does not go away - this is secondary).
>
> Suggestions welcome.  Here is my /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> /dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> LABEL=/misc             /misc                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> The drive that is misbehaving is /misc.
>
> This is (more or less) my first experience with FC, so have mercy.  :-)

I see that you have solved. If for some reason you wish to keep both
definitions (there may be reasons), just add "noauto" (no quotes) to one
or both of the entries. This might be useful when you want to mount a
different volume, e.g. as a "temp" mount for backup or copy purposes.
This is handy when you have, e.g., a couple identical looking external
usb drives that are used for different purposes on multiple machines.

With "label" and "noauto", it keeps me from accidentally mounting the
wrong one. No, external labels won't do - purposes change frequently.

> Thanks.
>
> mhr
> <snip>

HTH