[CentOS] DKMS

Sun Apr 27 14:24:17 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Robert Becker Cope wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
>
>> CentOS is *not* for users new to Linux or Unix-like operatings
>> systems. It isn't. Full stop.
>
> Hopefully what you mean is that it isn't designed specifically for users that
> are new to Linux. It is a perfectly fine distribution for those wanting to
> learn Linux, though the learning curve may be a bit steep.
>
> Is there any distro designed to train new Linux users?
>
> robert

I think that depends on what the new user wants or expects from Linux.
Sure there are distro's that attempt to hide or eliminate the exposure
of new users to the command line, or choose to install 3rd party (non
GPL/OS) stuff by default, or at least make it easy to do so from
preconfigured repos.

Many (desktop) users converting from that other popular OS seem to
expect things like multimedia support, 3rd party drivers, wireless etc
to work out of the box by default, or at least be easy to install
without having to resort to foreign commands on the command line (they
easily forget none of these things worked on their previous OS out of
the box!). Those users don't see the power of the command line and see
it as a backwards step. It's easy to forget there is now a whole
generation of computer users who have known nothing but the GUI and
completely missed out on DOS or CP/M, and never owned a
Spectrum/Commodore/BBC Micro etc.