[CentOS] Questions on cpu frequency scaling AMD vs. Intel

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 14:09:39 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> I've been playing and comparing frequency scaling between AMD and Intel
> CPUs yesterday and there seem to be great differences between AMD and
> Intel and some gotchas. This is all on CentOS 5.2 with latest Xen kernels
> (which are supposed to be powersaving-enabled since 5.2).

I was looking at cpu frequency scaling a week or two ago on an Intel
Q6600 quad core cpu. Rather than repeat myself, there are some numbers
in this thread (post #6 amongst others):

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15484&forum=37

Bottom line - the power saving between having frequency scaling enabled
or not was surprisingly small (only 2-3W). It would appear that these
processors are already fairly efficient at idle and scaling down the
frequency adds little to the overall savings that may be obtained.