[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Aug 5 23:58:29 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:

> I have been using kino to import from our miniDV camcorder and do some
> simple editing -- but all on FC6.  As I wrote in my post earlier in
> this thread, I have been unable to do this on CentOS 5.  Were you able
> to get kino to recognize the firewire port ?  If so, would you mind
> sharing your experience in this forum thread?
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=14858&forum=45

I don't use CentOS on workstations and laptops, only on servers. :-)

Sounds like the FireWire stack (kernel + libraries) in CentOS is
seriously broken. In the past, I used to have minor issues with FireWire
under old Fedora versions (like, FC3 or so), but all that stuff could be
fixed by manually loading a module or creating a /dev node. Looks like
that's not the case on CentOS. :-(

Under these circumstances, I would avoid using CentOS on systems where I
need to transfer video over FireWire, and it all needs to function
without headaches.

It may start working with a different kernel and/or a different libraw1394.

But honestly, I have no real clue. Sorry. :-/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/