[CentOS] can't get Ethernet SNMP information

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Aug 8 19:05:26 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> running snmpwalk, I get the following:

Likely you need to open up your snmpd.conf, take a look at this one
as an example:

For CentOS 4.x at least the OIDs are:

eth0 in: .
eth0 out: .
eth1 in: .
eth1 out: .

[cacti at dc1-mon002:~/bin]$ snmpget -v1 -c public localhost
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.2 = Counter32: 1203591015
[cacti at dc1-mon002:~/bin]$ snmpget -v1 -c public localhost
IF-MIB::ifOutOctets.2 = Counter32: 4079516345

For cacti I use all my own custom scripts to gather data, I
don't use the built in stuff. I've gotten my custom install
to scale to 10.6 million data points updated per day, and
I'm only running at 16% cpu usage. Love that efficiency, though
unfortunately I can't virtualize it as it's too page fault
heavy(just nailed that down this morning).