[CentOS] can't get Ethernet SNMP information

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:24:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:05 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
> > running snmpwalk, I get the following:
> >

> Likely you need to open up your snmpd.conf, take a look at this one
> as an example:
> http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/snmp/snmpd.conf<http://portal.aphroland.org/%7Eaphro/snmp/snmpd.conf>
>
> For CentOS 4.x at least the OIDs are:
>
> eth0 in: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2
> eth0 out: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.2
> eth1 in: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3
> eth1 out: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.3
>
> [cacti at dc1-mon002:~/bin]$ snmpget -v1 -c public localhost
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2
> IF-MIB::ifInOctets.2 = Counter32: 1203591015
> [cacti at dc1-mon002:~/bin]$ snmpget -v1 -c public localhost
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.2
> IF-MIB::ifOutOctets.2 = Counter32: 4079516345
>
> For cacti I use all my own custom scripts to gather data, I
> don't use the built in stuff. I've gotten my custom install
> to scale to 10.6 million data points updated per day, and
> I'm only running at 16% cpu usage. Love that efficiency, though
> unfortunately I can't virtualize it as it's too page fault
> heavy(just nailed that down this morning).
>
> nate

Hey Nate,

What you just said made me think, check what interfaces are listed, so I got
this:

snmpwalk -Of -v2c -c public localhost interfaces
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces = No Such Object available on
this agent at this OID

So the question now is, what should the OID's be for CentOS 5.2 to get the
network car's SNMP info? And where exactly do I add it to the snmpd.conf
file?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers