[CentOS] gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?) [Going OT]

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Aug 11 18:07:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 12:38 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:04 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >
> >> Vi or vim. I think Emacs would just cloud my mind, when I'm trying to absorb
> >> C++    Lanny
> >
> ><snip>

> Thanks! Not much C experience. I'm an old Assembly Language guy. Trying to

Ditto - IBM 360/370. Some things never leave. BALR 14, save area trace
register 13, etc. I still love assembly. Speed and efficiency were my
big thing.

> enter the 21st century now. C++ is a lot to learn and it looks like a
> lot of it has to do with
> the way things are done in OOP. The book is very long (878 pages) but
> well regarded.

Yes, OOP is the whole purpose of C++. When it first came out, I
dismissed it as "fluff" (OOP was really new then and initial specs and
implementations had not much power). By the time C95 came out, things
had started to look more useful. By now (I've not looked in a long time)
I'm sure it deserves its highly regarded status.

> <snip sig stuff>

Well, don't want to pollute the list further. I'll just say that you
should grab some small snippets of a real application to peruse as you
go through the book. It will help assimilation (no, not the Borg kind!)
immensely.

Enjoy!

--
Bill