[CentOS] gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?) [Going OT]

Tue Aug 12 00:43:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 12:38 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM, William L. Maltby
>> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> Thanks! Not much C experience. I'm an old Assembly Language guy. Trying to
>
> Ditto - IBM 360/370. Some things never leave. BALR 14, save area trace
> register 13, etc. I still love assembly. Speed and efficiency were my
> big thing.

I began with IBM 360/65  ALC on an airline reservation system
<snip>

I finished the first chapter of the book. It is excellent. The author
obviously worked in industry and knows what it is like, working in the
real world.

> Yes, OOP is the whole purpose of C++. When it first came out, I
> dismissed it as "fluff" (OOP was really new then and initial specs and
> implementations had not much power). By the time C95 came out, things
> had started to look more useful. By now (I've not looked in a long time)
> I'm sure it deserves its highly regarded status.

>From reading the first chapter, I'm sure that is true. He wrote that
50 to 70% of projects end in failure. OOP should reduce that
percentage.

> Well, don't want to pollute the list further. I'll just say that you
> should grab some small snippets of a real application to peruse as you
> go through the book. It will help assimilation (no, not the Borg kind!)
> immensely.

I'll ask a former manager/colleague if he happens to have any code
from a project he worked on that isn't classified, that he can send
me.