[CentOS] Re: Is there a way to save the routing table permanently?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Aug 22 16:38:49 UTC 2008

on 8-22-2008 7:01 AM David Hrbáč spake the following:
> Rob Townley napsal(a):
>> Are you sure this is actually processed?  Do you have a working example for
>> CentOS 4.x or 5.x?  One that works with two NICS that would use two
>> different gateways to the internet?  I would like nothing more to get this
>> to work in a streamlined fashion.
>> i didn't have success with the /etc/sysconfig/static-routes  file, but maybe
>> i didn't specify the routes using the correct syntax?
> Well,
> I use on one of my routers in /etc/sysconfig/static-routes:
> any net netmask gw
> any net netmask gw
> Running C4.6, route:
> [root at arakis ~]# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> U     0      0        0 eth0
>   U     0      0        0 eth1
>   UG    0      0        0 eth1
>   UG    0      0        0 eth1
>         UG    0      0        0 eth0
> David Hrbáč
Static routes work fine, but having 2 default routes will not be easy in
linux. You can't be sure that packets can find there way back to their origin.
Yours seems to work for you, but I bet it is because the packets are luckily
getting back. It usually fails miserably.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!