[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Aug 29 16:04:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 17:27 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> <snip>
>
>> I still have a Tandy 4000, 386-16 no cache, that is used occassionally to
>> program EPROMS.  This same machine ran Xenix for years before being abused
>> by installing DR-DOS on it.
>
>For shame, for shame! You should have known better! ;-)
>
>Regardless, I was getting readdy to discard these when I saw your post.
>If you need some spares, I've got 1 each 360KB and 1.2MB 5.25" floppy
>drives that still worked last I used them. One might have come out of a
>TRS-80 I had when they were a "hot" item - I'm not sure. Also a box full
>of media for them (a couple hundred?) untested but some may still work.

I too have a room full of old stuff including floppy drives, EISA
network and SCSI cards, 3 Telebit WorldBlazers and 1 TrailBlazer,
Xenix 2.3.4 and SCO 3.2v4.2 boxes that still boot if necessary.

Being a pack rat does occassionally pay off.  I got an e-mail from
a person who had bought my old Hawke DL-9 Formula Ford to go
vintage car racing, and I still have the original paperwork when
I imported it from England, letters from the designer, etc. which
provides provenance going back to the factory.  I raced this car
from 1972 through 1977 on the east coast, and now it's about two
hours north of me in Surrey B.C. -- small world eh?

http://www.celestial.com/Members/bill/images/hawke_DL9_01.jpg/view

FWIW, I even have lug nuts for a Lotus 41-C Formula car in my
tool box dating back to 1968 which predates any of my computer bits.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Property must be secured, or liberty cannot exist. -- John Adams