[CentOS] Questions on cpu frequency scaling AMD vs. Intel

Mon Aug 4 13:28:55 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 16:57:20 +0200:

> I disagree about the reason. I think they are actually not so efficient. At
> least not if I compare to a low-voltage CPU.

Just checked how much that AMD 4850e CPU drains under various conditions.
There are *huge* differences. I checked whole power consumption of the
machine. I don't know what "at wall" means. Did you measure the power
consumption of the cpu alone or does "at wall" mean the same as I did?

Here are the figures, considering this is for the whole machine I think it's
quite good.

idle:
1000 MHz: 76W
2500 MHz: 98W

1 core under load: 110W
2 core under load: 120W

So, that's not just the processor, it's the whole machine. It takes into
account the powerdrain from the processor plus (probably) faster fans plus any
other drain from memory/chipset that may be higher underload.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany