[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 01:30:04 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

> vi is everywhere! But, apparently, I need to learn how to use Emacs or
> another IDE
> too, so there's another learning curve.

I've been using vi (and vim and gvim) for more than twenty years and
I've never "needed" an IDE.  They're helpful in some situations, but
if you're programming on a UNIX/Linux platform, vi can be enough.
There is even a way to get vi to coordinate with some compilers such
that you land on the line where a syntax error occurs, but even that
wasn't required.

Vi is not the world's best editor, but it is in every single UNIX or
Linux system out there, and there are advantages in knowing how to use
it.  I've used it long enough that I'm just not interested in other
editors.  As for IDEs, a great deal of what you need one for can often
be accomplished just by having several windows open for the various
tasks one needs for debugging.

My $0.02, and it's not available for spending on editor wars.  :-)

mhr