[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 17:48:10 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

MHR wrote:

> Vi is not the world's best editor

Heh, understatement of the century.
It's an awful editor. I wish I could hire the person who came up with
the user interface, only to have the satisfaction of having him/her
fired five minutes later. With no severance package.

It's one of the worst designs from a usability perspective. Yes, it's on
every Unix system out there. Yes, it's very complex and can be powerful
and can be extended to do a million things. Yes, you can train yourself
so you learn it well enough so that the interface is not a problem anymore.
But all that does not negate the basic fact that it's one of the most
un-intuitive and essentially broken user interface designs ever. But
we're stuck with it, which is unfortunate.

Note: I'm not an Emacs fan. :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/