[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 08:27:18 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>
> wrote:
> > on 8-11-2008 9:06 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> <snip>
> >> I will look at Eclipse, but one of my goals is to be able to fix
> >> problems on a remote box and that will probably require vi.
> >
> > Then you shouldn't go wrong, because I have yet to be on a linux box
> > or a bsd box that didn't have some form or emulation of vi
> > installed.
>
> vi is everywhere! But, apparently, I need to learn how to use Emacs or
> another IDE too, so there's another learning curve.

Just remember that you are using *vim* and not *vi* - which is a huge(!)
difference. The core features are the same, but vim is so much more
versatile than vi. And can be turned into an IDE (of some sorts) for
programming.

<http://vim.org/> has *lots* of informations, tipps, tricks, code
snippets and other stuff.

Ralph