[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 10:26:35 UTC 2008
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Monday, August 11, 2008 7:20 PM -0500 Lanny Marcus
<lmmailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Then you shouldn't go wrong, because I have yet to be on a linux box or a
>> bsd box that didn't have some form or emulation of vi installed.
>
> vi is everywhere! But, apparently, I need to learn how to use Emacs or
> another IDE too, so there's another learning curve.

I agree, learn enough vi that you can deal with a minimal box for recovery
situations.

I learned EMACS back when it was written in TECO on a Tops-10 system. I
didn't find it particularly hard to master. There's a built-in tutorial
system to teach you basic navigation commands (eg. forward/backward
character/word/line/page) and the default keystrokes make some sense (eg.
ctrl-F is forward char, ESC-F is forward word, substitute B for backward,
ctrl-P for previous line, ctrl-N for next line, etc.). Take a half hour to
go through the tutorial and you should be pretty comfortable with the
basics.

vi derivatives are likely equally easy to master, but I've never been able
to figure out the pattern for the keystrokes, so whenever I have to use it,
I have to go look up the commands.

These days I use Lugaru Epsilon, a commercial EMACS clone available for
several platforms. But I want to get used to the traditional EMACS shipped
with most distros.