[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 23:34:31 UTC 2008
Nifty Cluster Mitch <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:20:22PM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>    On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Scott Silva <[1]ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>    > on 8-11-2008 9:06 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
>    <snip>
>    >> I will look at Eclipse, but one of my goals is to be able to fix
>    problems
>    >> on
>    >> a remote box and that will probably require vi.
>    >
>    > Then you shouldn't go wrong, because I have yet to be on a linux box
>    or a
>    > bsd box that didn't have some form or emulation of vi installed.
>    vi is everywhere! But, apparently, I need to learn how to use Emacs or
>    another IDE too, so there's another learning curve.

A good IDE can help you manage and organize a local project.

Stick with vi/vim/gvim and "make" for a while.

Next add a revision control system (RCS) and patch to your tool kit.

Some class material takes advantage of a specific IDE to
manage the various bits in a class.   In a 'good' class
they begin with small components.  Then they begin to reuse
those components and build larger projects.  If you are
working through such a tutorial -- go with the flow and
use what ever tool set they do.

Eclipse is nice in that it can run both on Linux and Windows....
For a Java class it is a natural...

Does anyone out there use Eclipse or another IDE with a distributed revision control system
like, git, mecurial, cvs, bitkeeper, etc...?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Got a great hat... now what.