[CentOS] Help setting up external drive via Firewire

Wed Aug 13 09:47:50 UTC 2008
Noob Centos Admin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

Scratch that last message. I removed the drive to verify the copied content
on another machine and realized I forgot to copy one folder. Plugged it
back, with the wrong connector, using the Firewire instead of USB, probably
because my mind was still on the Firewire issue.

This time round, gnome desktop automounted the drive and there it was on my
desktop to my surprise.

Checking with mount
/dev/sde1 on /media/My Book type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=502)

I've no idea why or what happened, just glad it works! :D

Now testing it out with another day's data about 112G worth and Nautilus is
estimating about 60 minutes, so that's about 31.8MB/s or 29% faster.
Although Nautilus was a bit optimistic with the previous transfer so the
Firewire still likely a good 20% to 25% faster.