[CentOS] Help setting up external drive via Firewire

Wed Aug 13 21:27:55 UTC 2008
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:47 AM +0200 Rainer Duffner
<rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Maybe format it with ext3?
> ;-)

The biggest problem with FAT32 is that it's limited to 2 GB files. My full
dump is 200 GB, and I've found the "one file" dump more reliable and
efficient than the multi-file feature, which breaks the dump into lots of
little 1 GB files.

I format mine with NTFS for OS interoperability and mount using the ntfs-3g
FUSE filesystem.

Say the partition is labeled "Backup1". Then I can mount it with:

mount /mnt/Backup /dev/disk/by-label/Backup1 -t ntfs-3g