[CentOS] can't get Ethernet SNMP information

Sat Aug 16 14:37:25 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On 8/13/08, Marc Grimme <grimme at atix.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I didn't follow the whole thread but had the same problem when using
> net-snmp
> with bridges (an I see peth0 and that rang the bell). The problem seems to
> be
> that net-snmp does not like nics with same ips (I didn't find very much on
> that topic). You should see some errors from net-snmp in the syslogs of
> your
> managed servers. What does your syslog say?
>
> I solved it by changing the bridge configuration from the scripts provided
> by
> xen /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge to using ifcfg bridges. Then cacti
> could
> monitor the interfaces like normal.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards marc.
>

> Hi Mark,

I don't think that's quite the case. Each interface has a different IP. In
fact, if each interface had the same IP, then the whole network in that IP
range, on the server, would be problematic - and there would be not traffic
flowing through. For TCP/IP to work properly, each interface has to have a
unique IP address (and depending on the subnet, a different subnet mask /
gateway pair as well).

Each XEN interface is also a seperate interface, but it uses the bridgetools
to work properly - i.e. connect directly to the external network.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers