[CentOS] OT - Offline uncorrectable sectors

Fri Aug 22 15:59:41 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> I have few disk that have offline uncorrectables sectors;

Ideally it should be done using the manufacturer's tools,
and really any disk that has even one bad sector that the OS
can see should not be relied upon, it should be considered a
failed disk. Disks automatically keep spare sectors that the
operating system cannot see and re-maps bad sectors to them,
if your seeing bad sectors that means that collection of
spares has been exhausted. I've never seen a disk manufacturer
not accept a disk that had bad sectors on it (that was still
under warranty) in as long as I can remember..

nate