[CentOS] OT - Offline uncorrectable sectors

Fri Aug 22 16:07:11 UTC 2008
Lorenzo Quatrini <lorenzo at gmk.it>

nate ha scritto:
> Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
>> I have few disk that have offline uncorrectables sectors;
>
> Ideally it should be done using the manufacturer's tools,
> and really any disk that has even one bad sector that the OS
> can see should not be relied upon, it should be considered a
> failed disk. Disks automatically keep spare sectors that the
> operating system cannot see and re-maps bad sectors to them,
> if your seeing bad sectors that means that collection of
> spares has been exhausted. I've never seen a disk manufacturer
> not accept a disk that had bad sectors on it (that was still
> under warranty) in as long as I can remember..
>
> nate

For what I understand Offline uncorrectable means that the sector would be
relocated the next time it is accessed for writing... so it is on a "wait for
relocation" status.
I don't know of any other way to force this relocation other tha actually
writing over the sector (a simple read doesn't trigger the relocation)...

And yes, I know that a disk with bad blocks isn't reliable, but you remember?
I'm too lazy to send my home disks back to the manufacturer ;)

Lorenzo