[CentOS] Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD

Wed Aug 27 19:19:01 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 20:13 +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 19:38 +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

LG GH20

> >><snip>

> >> I am using Verbatim DVD-RDL blanks.

Did a quick perusal of the Verbatim and LG specs. Looks OK.

> >> When I try to write a pre-recorded iso to the DVD I get the following
> >> error message:
> >>
> >> [user at test]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdwriter=<pre-recorded>.iso
> >> :-( /dev/dvdwriter: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 10015
> >>
> >> I have tried to do this as root with the same result. /dev/dvdwriter is
> >> a link to /dev/scd0 and has full read/write/execute permissions.
> >>
> >><snip>

> >> I have Googled with the error message but only get reports of this
> >> problem and no solutions.

Yeah. I've often wondered if folks just give up or don't bother to post
when they either find a solution or find an embarrassing problem and
don't want to acknowledge it.  :-;

> Thanks for the quick response - I did try to format with dvd+rw tools
> but also got a response that the media was not recordable. AFAIK it
> should not be required.

With two software packages indicating not recordable, I'm betting that
the drivers *or* the applications currently on the system are not
up-to-date enough to handle the dual layer facility. This is an
unfortunate side-effect of enterprise-class systems, which will tend to
run behind overall. Unfortunately, every new "feature" on these types of
devices requires new driver support.

My updated 5.2 has these
   cdrdao-1.2.1-2.i386
   cdrecord-2.01-10.i386
   xcdroast-0.98a15-12.2.2.i386

Rpmforge has only the development rpm for the current cdrecord.

I don't have atrpm on my system. You might check there and see if they
have later packages. Just be aware that many months ago that repo was
less trusted (IIRC, considered unstable and overlaid base packages if
you weren't careful), but that may not be the case now. Plus, since
then, yum priorities and protect have become available (can protect
against overlay of base packages).

If your vendor offers *any* tech support, they *may* be able to tell you
if they know of any sources (yum repos, source code, distributions -
Fedora is a likely candidate) that they know supports the dual layer
feature.

Also, visit the manufacturers web site. Sometimes they might have
technical information that includes drivers needed or linux releases,
etc. Often they have support via e-mail that may help.

Barring any immediate solutions, I would try using regular DVD+-RW media
and wait until the software catches up. You won't have wasted your $$,
it's just a deferred benefit thingy.

OH! Almost forgot, visit the cdrecord home web-site. Lots of good stuff
there. I forget the URL, but I think it's in one of the files
in /usr/share/doc/cdrecord-2.01. Be warned that that author has a
long-term dim view of the Linux SCSI interface implementation and is
apparently on a crusade about it.

If you do install something outside of the CentOS and related repos, be
aware of the risks and potential workload as updates occur.

>  From reading your many and interesting posts to this list I realize
> that we must be contemporaries (possibly I started programming before
> you - circa 1963 on a ICL1500 aka RCA 301 in assembler or directly
> punching machine code into punch cards).

Yep. I had my 1st professional job in 1969. I was in the "modern" age,
S360 stuff was the equipment then. The punch cards were still there,
made on 026 and 029 card punches and read by MFCMs to load programs into
IBM's DOS.

I guess we're both old enough to fill in for JP when the resident
curmudgeon is not on-list.  ;-)

> I do appreciate your responses as they always  are helpfull and when
> them flame wars flare up you remain sensible.

Thanks. The "sensible" part took a lot of years and the majority of my
youth to develop!

> Thanks again
>
> ChrisG
> <snip>