[CentOS] Educentos?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 05:08:05 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Oh, I know about the LTSP project. But I am not looking for a terminal
>>> server. Edubuntu is not a terminal server. This project tacking K12 on
>>> the LTSP but with zero pointers to educational software
>>> included/packages makes it nothing but another terminal server.
>> Errr, have you actually looked at the k12ltsp distro?  It pretty much
>> invented the educational genre.
>>

> Well yeah...it lists tools for administration and then open office,
> abiword, various desktop environments...and not much else...
>
> How am I suppose to go by that?

Maybe you missed the "much more..." at the bottom of that list.

> http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Software
> http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html
>
> I am more than happy to look at what educational software it packages. Duh.

I'm not sure how to pick out what isn't included in stock centos.  The
easiest way is probably to install one but you might wade through
http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/K12LTSP/5.0.0-EL-32bit/i386/repodata/comps.xml
to look at the packages in the education* and ltsp groups.  There are
also some scripts to make everything come up working and push-button
scripted installs for an assortment of extra software that is not
included (web fonts, flash, sun java, realplayer, etc.).

Be sure to download the 'el5' version.  The others are based on
now-obsolete fedora versions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com