[CentOS] New rpm, same name, how to update

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Mon Dec 8 17:21:07 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I have to build my own rpms
>
> For this I will have to work with the developers to find out where the
> spec file is and how to change it without breaking something (or get
> them to change it!).

If you can build the RPM, you do have access to the spec file.  If
you're building directly from a .src.rpm with rpmbuild, it's embedded in
the .src.rpm making things a little tougher.  Best is if you're building
from some kind of source tree and so have the .spec file right there.

>> On the other hand --replacepkgs or --oldpackage might work.
> This must require some yum plugin??? as --replacepkgs is not documented
> on my systems, nor does it work.

These are rpm options, not yum options:

	rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs my-custom-thing-1.0-1.i386.rpm