[CentOS] CentOS Bug Reporting Policy

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 23:51:45 UTC 2008

Hywel Richards wrote:
> I'm a little confused about what you are supposed to do when you
> discover a bug with CentOS (and by implication RHEL).
>
> Is there some policy as to what to do and where to report the bug?
>
> It doesn't seem appropriate to report it to http://bugs.centos.org
> because CentOS is kept in-sync with the upstream, so bugs will never get
> fixed in CentOS, only in the upstream distribution.
> Unless there is some feedback mechanism from this CentOS bugtracker to
> Redhat that I am unaware of.
>
> So that makes the obvious place to report any bugs
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com, but do they (Redhat) have any opinion on
> people reporting bugs observed on a CentOS distribution there? Do they
> welcome it or do they discourage it? There is certainly no CentOS
> product classification in their bugzilla I can see.
>
> So, in short, is there any CentOS bug reporting policy, and is it
> written down anywhere?
>
> Hywel.

I don't know if there is an official policy, but I report bugs at both
and cross reference each to the other (unless they obviously only apply
to one and not the other).

Red Hat does encourage the CentOS community to report bugs against their
product, and in their "External Bugs" section there is even a selection
for CentOS to enter the CentOS BugID number. Hence it makes sense to
file against CentOS first, then file against RH and enter the External
CentOS BigID number, and finally come back to CentOS and add the RH
BugID for reference.

I agree it would be useful to have a written policy/guidance (if it
doesn't already exist) - perhaps this is something we could get added to
the Wiki.