[CentOS] CentOS, PHP, Basic GIS

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:36:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 03:28 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

> > I think I may have found what I need - I found some articles on parsing
> > e00 files into arrays that I can then use to draw them with gd. Now the
> > only issue is the e00 files I have have *too* much information - they
> > are statewide - so I need to figure out which datasets in the files are
> > the ones I want ,,,
> >
> > I may just write a shell script that parses the e00 file and turns the
> > data sets into php include files. There may be some scripts out there
> > that already do a similar thing I can steal, as e00 seems fairly common
> > and has been around awhile.
>
> I think ogr2ogr does what I want - it looks like it has a driver for
> putting the contents of various formats into database (including MySQL
> which is already being used for the wildlife database) and then I can
> probably get the coordinates I need to draw the county border and
> lakes/rivers from there.

Hmm, using MySQL...You are aware that it supports High Level Graphing as of version 5.1? IMO I think your are overloading yourself in
PHP Code. Why not let the DB do this for you since you already have some of the data in it? You could use SPROCS and
Triggers to do this all. As in Plotting all your corordinates you need.

JohnStanley
<snip/>