[CentOS] ZFS on Linux

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Dec 29 01:02:10 UTC 2008

Mag Gam wrote:
> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>
> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
> important
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?

Try OpenSolaris. It comes with a package manager that is getting there
and upgrades from one version to newer versions have been relatively
painless for me. These upgrades are not the 'wipe system out and install
latest version of distro' type.

You will have to learn stuff unique to Solaris land though if you are
not already familiar with some of the ways things are done in Solaris.