[CentOS] Source for Kernel

Mon Dec 29 21:28:26 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:
> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>> OK, perhaps I wasnt clear in my previous posting.
>> I am looking for either a SRPM for the CentOS 5.2 centos.plus kernel,
>> or more likely, a diff from the kernel at kernel.org.
>>
>> I was pointed to the wiki, which MENTIONED a Source RPM, but didnt
>> point to anywhere to find these for CentOS.  All Ive been able to
>> find are ISO's .
>>
>> I really dont need a bunch of tools that will complicate the problem,
>> a simple diff is what Im looking for,- its got to be out there somewhere.

A "simple diff" from the kernel.org version is not so simple as Red Hat
includes a lot of patches and backported fixes in their kernels before
CentOS ever sees them.

> note that CentOS kernel SRPMs are /not/ the full kernel source, rather,
> they are a bunch of patchfiles and scripts that build the kernel from
> standard sources a specific way..

They are the full kernel sources + Red Hat patches + CentOS[plus] mods.
For instance kernel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plus.src.rpm has
linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 (the vanilla kernel.org version) plus 1908 patch
files (versus 1905 for the standard kernel) plus assorted kernel config
files.  If I understand correctly the CentOSplus changes involve only
config options and patches not used by upstream.

If you want to see what CentOSplus has done to the sources as compared
to the standard CentOS kernel (which should be very close to the RHEL
kernel), a diff of the installed centosplus kernel SRPM source directory
with an install of the SRPM from (for instance)
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.src.rpm at

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/SRPMS/

will show you.

As Akemi said in response to your first post, your best bet might be to
put in a feature request at http://bugs.centos.org/

Phil