[CentOS] 5.2 driver for Marvell Yukon 88E8042 PCI-E Fast Ethernet controller

Wed Dec 10 04:49:50 UTC 2008
Kurt Hansen <khansen at charityweb.net>

Hello,

I'm trying to install CentOS 5.2 on an HP 6730s notebook.

All's going well except for one little item -- the networking. Never
thought I'd have trouble with an Ethernet adapter, so I didn't even
check before buying this machine; it was cheap.

The adapter is a Marvell Yukon 88E8042 PCI-E Fast Ethernet controller. I
can't find a Linux driver for it except one that appears to require me
to recompile a custom kernel. I find it on the Marvell website:

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

It looks like I'll have to recompile the kernel to get this installed.
Having read the warnings on the CentOS Wiki, I figured I should ask
before building my own kernel for the first time.

Do I have other options?

Thanks!

Kurt Hansen
khansen at charityweb.net