[CentOS] Problem after power failure: no more sound in Flash

Tue Dec 9 11:35:26 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 20:16 -0500, Max Hetrick wrote:
> Niki Kovacs wrote:
>
> > Actually, I can play Flash videos alright. Only they have no sound.
> > Other apps like mplayer or xmms do have sound. Which leaves me clueless.
>
> I was just thinking maybe there was something wrong with flash plugin
> file since the power was killed, which is why I mentioned that.

Power failures are funny (NOT!) things. Did you open the alsa mixer
(right click the speaker icon) and see if one of the channels got muted?
Maybe that's all it is. Are you able to play other sounds (like .wav
files) using some of the utilities or hear sounds with other utilities?

What about possible corruption? Have you done an rpm --verify to see if
something got corrupted or removed?

Sometimes power failures are associated with a surge or spike. First
step is to make sure the hardware is still good using some other utility
to test it, like I mention above.

> Regards,
> Max
> <snip>