[CentOS] vim helpfile tag issues

Wed Dec 17 03:58:29 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Spiro Harvey wrote:

> just as a followup, if I ungzip a file, and edit the tags file to
> reflect the new name, it displays properly.
>
> putting it back returns its state to the regular fubar.

After looking into this, you can see if it only happens when using 'vi'
without an alias to 'vim'. Or does it also happen to 'vim' ?

(Beware that as root 'vi' is not aliased to 'vim', but as a user it is)

You can directly test using:

 	unalias vi
 	vi -c "h tutor"

and

 	unalias vim
 	vim -c "h tutor"

I think this is normal behaviour for 'vi' as it does not support gzipped
help pages. Seems the case for RHEL too, so it is not specific to
CentOS. You might want to to check the same on Fedora too ?

Kind regards,