[CentOS] HAL Daemon failure on boot up

Sun Dec 21 18:07:07 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've been having a problem for a while:  when booting, >haldaemon will > fail, leaving me without CD/DVD and >floppy drives available.
>
> Has anyone else had this kind of problem?  If so, can >anyone suggest a > solution?

Your problem may not be with HAL. I have had similar, intermittent
problems, recently, with various symptoms, including that K3b could
not find my CD-RW drive or media in it. I just finished writing to
CD-R media with K3b with that CD-RW drive. In the case of my Desktop,
I now know that the motherboard is damaged. Since you wrote that you
have a problem with more than one piece of HW, I hope in your case it
isn't the motherboard. You can run Diagnostics on the HW, which I did
last Sunday, with the Dell Diagnostics for this box, but my HW got a
clean bill of health, since it is intermittent. GL!