[CentOS] HAL Daemon failure on boot up

Sun Dec 21 20:20:20 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I've been having a problem for a while:  when >booting, haldaemon will
>>> fail, leaving me without CD/DVD and floppy drives >available.
<snip>
> Dec  6 20:02:40 c-75-69-199-70 kernel: hdf: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive
> appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request.
>
> Both a WDC IDE hard drive and a Pioneer 112D >CD/DVD Burner are on the
> only legacy IDE connector on the mobo, so I can't try a >different IDE
> channel.

In my previous reply, I forgot to suggest that you reseat the cable at
both ends. Or, try another cable. If you are lucky, the problem will
go away and has nothing to do with your motherboard. Or, if it does,
possibly you can stick in a PCI board with an EIDE controller and
bypass the motherboard.