[CentOS] HAL Daemon failure on boot up

Sun Dec 21 19:23:08 UTC 2008
Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net>

Tosh wrote:
> Dick Roth wrote:
>> I've been having a problem for a while:  when booting, haldaemon will
>> fail, leaving me without CD/DVD and floppy drives available.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this kind of problem?  If so, can anyone suggest a
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks for listening,
>>
>> Dick
>>
> some more information would be helpful
> what version of centos and hal
> any fail reports

Sorry about that:

CentOS 5.2 (Final)
hal-0.5.8.1-35.el5
Gigabyte P35-DS3R Motherboard

I went through messages.* and found no direct references to HAL, but did
notice messages like:

Dec  6 20:02:40 c-75-69-199-70 kernel: hdf: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive
appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request.

Both a WDC IDE hard drive and a Pioneer 112D CD/DVD Burner are on the
only legacy IDE connector on the mobo, so I can't try a different IDE
channel.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Dick

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1755