[CentOS] OT: (a) Biostar or MSI mainboard? (b) all Celeron CPU's OK?

Sun Dec 28 16:41:42 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
<snip>
> designs.   Also, Dell is fairly notorious for using PSUs >that are just > barely adequate for the system as >originally configured.

And, I believe, in the Dell Dimensions, we have 4 of them, they use
Proprietary cases, motherboards and PSUs. After the quote of about
USD$238 for a new motherboard, I think I have lost a lot of enthusiasm
for Dell. I'm sure others (HP for example) would charge the same, for
Proprietary parts.
<snip>

> consider getting a g33 based motherboard (intel dg33tl >or equivalent) > with a low end core2 chip such as the >e2200, along with 2x1GB ddr2 533
> or whatever.     this would give you a system many >times faster than the

When I take this box (hopefully on 5 or 6 January) for the man who
repairs motherboards to inspect the motherboard and the PSU, I will
ask about the difference in price, for a g33 board and low end Core2
CPU. The Controller of the Currency in our house (my Wife) mentioned
to me that we are not in very good shape, after all of the extra Xmas
spending..... Your idea sounds excellent, if the $ is there....