[CentOS] NTP server

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 20:56:57 UTC 2008

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a Centos 5 64-bit server that has ntp service enabled.  Windows
> XP with SP2 cannot properly sync to it for time, but can communicate
> with it via samba, ssh, and anything else.    I also disabled the
> Windows Firewall.  The C5 system does not have any firewall enabled.

The following would stop this:

1) DNS with a fully qualified name.
2) CentOS-5 server does not have port 123 open on its firewall
 iptables -nxvL | grep 123

should give you an answer to that
3) CentOS-5 server is not serving NTP to your network

netstat -nalp | grep :123

should have something other than
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:123               0.0.0.0:*

This is configured in the /etc/ntp.conf file.

  smooge at gmail.com