[CentOS] NTP server

Rainer Traut tr.ml at gmx.de
Mon Feb 4 09:43:56 UTC 2008

Scott Ehrlich schrieb:
> I have a Centos 5 64-bit server that has ntp service enabled.  Windows
> XP with SP2 cannot properly sync to it for time, but can communicate
> with it via samba, ssh, and anything else.    I also disabled the
> Windows Firewall.  The C5 system does not have any firewall enabled.
>
> Other C5 workstations can successfully sync to it via ntpdate.
>
> What else could cause the XP machine to not be able to time sync with
> the C5 server?

I'd double-check the c5 ntpd config. Are the xp machines really in the
same allowed subnet like the c5 workstations?

Personally I don't use Windows' time sync anymore, I use the ntp
implementation for windows from here:

http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

Install/config is very easy, you even get the ntpdc command.

Rainer