[CentOS] log outbound port 80 connections

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Tue Feb 5 17:31:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008, Tony Schreiner wrote:

>On Feb 5, 2008, at 12:15 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>>Tony Schreiner wrote:
>>>Is there a way to log outbound connections to a specific port (80)?
>>>CentOS 4.6.
>>

>>assuming you want to log user web browsing traffic, configuring a
>>Squid transparent proxy at your network border would be the best
>>way.  its logfiles are quite similar to those of a webserver, so
>>you can use a wide range of log analysis tools.
>>

>To get more specific about what's going on.  My network services have
>informed me that the machine is probing other systems at a high rate.
>An infection of some sort. And I'm trying to track down what's going on.

In that case, you might want to use ``lsof -i :80'' to see
processes using port 80.  Once one has an interesting PID, then
using ``lsof -p PID'' will show everything that process is using
including the full path to the executing program.

Bill

The only logical reason to take guns away from responsible people is to
give irresponsible people an edge in the perpetration of their crimes
against us. -- The Idaho Observer, Vol. 1, No. 2 February 1997