[CentOS] system smtp server question

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Feb 6 18:03:04 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Currently I have postfix setup with maps so that root on server A has mail
> sent from root at server-a.fqdn<mailto:root at server-a.fqdn> and that is relayed
> to my production box. It just seems like it is an additional service to
> manage on so many hosts?

I'm not aware of any other method, and as for managing, it's typically
set it and forget it. Forward all mail to a central server, no other
configuration needed on the local systems.

my postfix config for this purpose is 8 lines, and could probably
be cut down even further, haven't tried though

# Postfix Client configuration for production environments
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
inet_interfaces = 127.0.0.1
recipient_delimiter = _
setgid_group = postdrop
relayhost = prod-utility-vip.sea2.my.domain

nate