[CentOS] pvmove speed

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 20:56:14 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >Ah, well you are using SAS drives, so there is some cash there...
>
> My bad, SAS controller with SATA II drives :(
>
> >What industry do you work in?
>
> All sorts, odd company: We do everything from automotive
> accessories to home building!
>
> >That's not true! I'm unimpressed now ;-)
> >
> >-Ross
>
> Love your honesty!

Since your moving the data over to a new server/array combo have
you thought about using LTO tapes to back it up and restore it
on the new server?

I know it isn't as sexy as LVM pv duplication and such, but it
works...

If the LTO drives are too expensive why not just rent them for
this activity? You need to buy the tapes, but that's not too
much expense.

-Ross