[CentOS] pvmove speed

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Wed Feb 13 21:08:01 UTC 2008

>Since your moving the data over to a new server/array combo have
>you thought about using LTO tapes to back it up and restore it
>on the new server?
>
>I know it isn't as sexy as LVM pv duplication and such, but it
>works...

We have an HP Autoloader, I thought of doing that actually, and I think I might :)
I'll let it run through the weekend and make a decision on Monday. The autoloader is hooked up to a windows box running the scourge of my life (Backup exec 9 for windows) and I didn't know how to interface it easily to the data without installing an agent on the client running the ini which I thought would be just as painfully slow! The LV is exported through iet and is formatted NTFS.

Suggestions welcome :)

Jlc

Ps. My solution aint so sexy, it involves a non fault tolerant interim period so I am not pleased to say the least!