[CentOS] CentOS serial questions (Hyperterminal equiv and connecting to server via Hyperterminal)

Sun Feb 24 17:29:49 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Rogelio wrote:
> I have two serial-related questions
>
> (1) What is the CentOS (or *nix) equivalent of Hyperterminal in Windows?
> Sometimes I'm on a CentOS box and need to, say, console into a Cisco or
> something.

I've always used minicom, and I believe the kermit program will work
too.

> (2) I have a CentOS server that I may need to transport somewhere and will
> most likely *not* want to carry around the monitor. Where should I look in
> connecting to my server via a serial connection?

If your asking how to configure a serial console take a peek at this:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

If your asking what you can hook your serial console up to, such
as a terminal server, I've had good luck with Cyclades terminal
servers(since bought by Advocent so not sure how they are today)

If your asking something else, your question didn't make sense to
me try to re-phrase it.

nate